top of page

How to Report Animal Cruelty or Neglect

Report animal cruelty or neglect ...YOU can make a difference.

What should you do if you witness or suspect animal cruelty or neglect?


  • Call the Animal Protective League (APL) Hotline 24/7 at 544-PETS and press “3.”

  • After hours ... call the Sangamon County Sheriff at 753-6666.

  • All caller names are kept confidential.

What happens after you call APL?

  • Be sure to speak clearly. Give your name, phone number and the exact residential address of concern.

  • If there is a need to contact the caller, your contact number will be critically important.

  • A volunteer humane investigator may call you to learn more information about the situation.

  • A volunteer humane investigator will visit the home as soon as possible to investigate the concern.

  • In many cases, investigations may take more than one visit. Owners have time to correct any problems discovered, depending on the type of problem.

  • In many cases, volunteer humane investigators will follow up with callers to let them know they are actively investigating their concern.

  • If previous or new concerns arise, be sure to contact APL again immediately and as needed.

bottom of page